Saturday 28 September 2013

Daughter of Smoke and Bone - Laini Taylor



The first few pages of this book were not enough to get me hooked, but for lack of an alternative, I continued on - and I am so glad I did!

The book starts out slow as Taylor introduces Karou and the characters in both worlds. During this part of the book there is a great deal of unnecessary detail about Karou's boyfriend - who isn't really very interesting and is perhaps what put me off. Her boyfriend really doesn't require that much attention considering where the tale leads!

After all of the explaining is through, the book begins to get good, and this coincides with the arrival of Arkiva. He is an angel, but not in the traditional sense...

Taylor unveils Arkiva and his alternate world with such poignancy and care that it is almost as if you are experiencing the unveiling right along with Karou. 

The angel versus demon theme is distorted slightly by Taylor, and you are never really sure who is on which team. This, along with the broken angel Arkiva, keeps the reader intrigued and forced me into reading chapter after chapter well into the early hours..

It seems this is to be a trilogy, with the next book not yet released. I cannot wait :)

No comments:

Post a Comment